.

Saturday 8 November 2014

I dumped lucrative oil & gas job for music -Lady Judith music

Lady JudithLady Judith (Nwachukwu Akpomejevwe Judith), a gospel artiste, has been in the industry for the past 15 years. The former Vice President of PMAN came into limelight in 2008 when she dropped the hit single, There Is A Name.
She has performed at various concerts both at home and abroad, and has done several singles with the likes of Onyeka Owenu and Queen Salawa Abeni among others. Today, Judith is set to drop her debut studio album. In this chat with Damilola Fatunmise, the Sapele-born-singer opens up on her new album and call to music.


Tell us about yourself?
I am Lady Judith Ojevwe Nwachukwu. I am a married woman blessed with a set of intelligent twins; a boy and a girl.
For how many years have you been in the business?
Over 15 years now and I am basking in the grace of God.
Why did you title your latest album Thankful?
The title of the album is Thankful because it is the testimony of my life and what God has done for me, my family and my business. In short, I can’t thank Him enough. The only thing I can give Him is praise and I know that if I praise Him with all my heart and with my entire soul,
He will do more for me like the Holy Book says.
Why gospel and not hip-hop?
There is a part in everyone that cries out for God and the Bible says ‘we are in the world and not of the world.’ What that
means is that we are not expected to do things in the way of the world. However, I celebrate hip-hop artistes but I know I am on earth for this assignment of singing about God, and if I don’t do it, I will have to answer on Judgement Day. I am compelled to do what I am doing.
Why is it that gospel artistes are not recognised the way hip-hop artistes are?
We are not expected to live according to the world. That the hip-hop artistes are being celebrated does not mean we are not working. Good for them, we are in a world where sex sells. If you shoot a video in this country without showing boobs and bum, you have not done anything and gospel videos don’t feature all these because we have values; I am talking about morals.
How is your husband coping with your music career?
He met me on stage and he can’t stop me because that is the only way we can have peace, so he is encouraging me to do what I love to do.
The gospel music scene is saturated with so much talent. What sets you apart?
With all humility, I will say my uniqueness is what sets me apart. I do my things to make a mark. I have spent a lot of money and time in order to come out with a good job because the market is very competitive. So, I have a lot of good songs to offer the industry.
What about PMAN?
PMAN was good. I made my own impact and I was able to meet a lot of people.
Though PMAN is now a shadow of itself, my advice to my fellow artistes is that a house divided will keep falling. But if we are united, we will stand. So we should  just team up and work for a better union.
You have being singing for over 15, why did it take you this long to come up with your album?
Before now I was working with NNPC. I had babies at home to take care of. At a time I went back to school and then I eventually travelled out of the country. But now I am fully back in the business. Besides, music is not what you can just do and fold your arms; you must work hard to bring out a good album.
Why did you give up your lucrative oil job for music?
Because I was sent to do gospel music and I must fulfil that purpose.
Where is your career headed?
My career is headed for the top. I am not limiting myself at all; I see myself winning a Grammy in the nearest future. I keep growing, I won’t stop but I will keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment