.

Saturday 8 November 2014

Day female fan emptied bottle of beer on my head –Victor Essiet

victor essietVictor Essiet of The Mandators fame, remember him? He was the musician who alongside the late Peggy Essiet gave us classics like Rat Race and Tribulations way back in the mid-1980s to early 1990s when reggae ruled the Nigerian music space. Essiet recently returned to Nigeria after a long sojourn in the US. He shares his over 20 years stage experience today.



When was the first time you performed live on stage?
That was in 1980. Then I was still in school. I also performed during the launch of my first album at the Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos.
How was the show?
I was very good because I had been practising for a very long time so the show did not come as a surprise.
Did you panic before the show?
Yes I was panicky!
How were you able to overcome that, did you take any stimulant?
No, I don’t take stimulants before going on stage?
How did you overcome stage fright?
You know, talent is physical but music is spiritual. When you are able to connect with the audience and you discover
that they are hailing you, your day is made as an entertainer
How do you prepare for a show?
Based on experience, I don’t rehearse all the time. I wake up anytime I want.
However, the only precaution I normally take is that I drink only warm water and I make sure that I don’t touch any drink that contains alcohol.
Do you take alcohol?
Not really, but I prefer some wine.
You use so much of energy on stage, what do you take?
I take little water because if I load my tummy with too much water I won’t be able to perform. Mind you, if I take any
stimulant it will be problematic because I am hyper-active.
What’s the relationship between you and your female fans?
Nice relationship; I love them and they love me too and it feels great. I treat them with respect because they are very
dear to my heart.
What crazy thing has a female fan done to you?
Lots of crazy things; at times when they get excited, some take of their blouses while I am performing! I have seen lots of
crazy things which one can not mention but one I will always remember was the day a female fan came on stage and out of
excitement poured drink on my head and the security guys had to take her off the stage. I later cautioned the security guys to handle her with care because she did it out of excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment