.

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Oyerinde’s widow takes case to Buhari

BuhariMemories of the late Private Secretary to Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole, Mr Olaitan Oyerinde, came alive yesterday, as his widow, Funke, appealed to the President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, to help fish out his killers.

Speaking at a three-year remembrance lecture in honour of  her husband, Funke said she was making the call  because she was tired of excuses from the Department of State Security (DSS) and the police over the killing.
“This is injustice to my family and especially to my son. He needs justice. In Nigeria, when a minister’s son is affected or kidnapped, they will fish out the killers. Why is Oyerinde’s own different. We need justice.
“It is good to have husband and wife live together. I have been living in sorrow. It has not been easy. My husband considered people before his own. He cared for people,” she said.
Mrs Oyerinde’s words elicited tears from the gathering as she recalled how her son cried for three days, asking for his father.
But in what seemed to be lingering animosity between her and Rev. David Ugolor, the late Oyerinde’s friend, who dropped him off and later took him to hospital the night he was killed, Funke urged activists present at the event to prevail on  Rev. Ugolor to release documents relating to her husband’s property.
“I am not saying Ugolor is the killer; God knows the killer. But Ugolor should release my husband’s documents. He is still holding them...post by expdonaloaded.blogspot.com
“If he knows that he loves himself, he should release my husband’s documents. I have lodged complaints; I have told the governor, but nothing had been done about it. I know that my husband has a property in GRA, but Ugolor has not given me any reason for not releasing the documents in his possession.”
Ugolor was among the suspects arrested in connection with the killing but a state High Court awarded N5million to him against the police for unlawful arrest and detention.
Reacting, Rev Ugolor, who is the Executive Director of the African Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ), denied being in possession of the documents relating to landed property.
Speaking on phone from London, he noted that the ownership of the said property was not in dispute, adding that Funke has not contacted him since the death of her husband.
He said the only document in his possession was where he wrote personal expenses on Oyerinde’s building that were not refunded because of his death.
“My friend is dead. Will I go and ask him to refund my money. The house is there. The person that sold the building is still alive. I did not say the property is mine. Funke knows the place. She has not asked me about it”, he said.
In his speech, former state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Osagie Obayuwana, said Oyerinde’s vision for a better Nigeria must be realised.

No comments:

Post a Comment