.

Friday 31 July 2015

Expdonaloaded News; I can’t cry for a woman –Mike Godson / Expdona aka finish gravity..

Mike Godson
Fast rising Nollywood actor, Mike Godson, has always described his rumoured affair with actress, Ini Edo, as nothing beyond an illusion. But when the 7 Books of Moses Star was approached for an interview, he was eager to state all that transpired between him and the divorcee actress.
Since making his Nollywood debut in 2010, Mike Godson has achieved a measure of visibility. He is mostly known for his lover boy roles in movies.In a no-holds bared interview, the light complexioned, well-built actor, who hails from Imo State but was born and bred in Kano, opened up on his love life, fear for women and why he can’t marry Ini Edo.

Excerpts:
How long have you been acting?
This is my fourth year in Nollywood. It wasn’t easy. I started from the bottom now, I am here.
How the whole journey begin?
I was born in the North, Kano State, to be precise. I attended to University of Jos, where I studied Theater and Communication Arts. Now it is called Theatre and Film Studies. When I came to Lagos, I met Kingsley Ukaegbu, because I was hoping on him to be getting acting jobs since he is a producer.
Unfortunately, he stopped directing, but he introduced me to Ernest Obi. Then, Ernest was the AGN President at that time, so he didn’t really have time to help. But he introduced me to a few people.
Then one day, Onyi Okechukwu, a director of Photography, asked me what I really came to do in Lagos. He introduced me to some working producers after I followed him to Enugu. Luckily for me, Van Vicker, was supposed to be on the set of the movie that he was working on. In the same film, Van was supposed to have a little brother. So when they saw me, they said I should play the role of junior Van Vicker.
Although they had paid someone else to play the role, but I got it. That was how my main acting journey begin.
How was it like the first time you acted in front of the camera?
I have always been an actor from my school days; so it wasn’t new to me at all. I have the talents inborne. My first professional movie, I played a sub-lead role. I was Van Vicker junior.
Were you paid for that role, since someone else had already been contacted?
I wasn’t paid so well though, because at that point, they felt they were doing me a favour. I didn’t mind, I had a target. So I didn’t look at money. It was good at that I got the role. After all, I wasn’t broke, so money wasn’t my problem.
You were just out of school, and you say you weren’t broke. What’s the secret?
I had my siblings abroad. They were taking good care of me. So, I wouldn’t say I came into the industry broke.
Can you share a little about your background?
I come from a very normal and comfortable family. I was born in the North, but I am from Mbaise, in Imo State. My parents had all of us in the North. I am the fifth child out of seven children.
Did growing up in the North affect you negatively?
Yes, it did! It took the better part of me. Growing up in the North made me do a lot of things late. It was when I got to Lagos that I started seeing people go to club, smoke, drink and all that. Then if I hear that people were going to clubs, I would conclude that they were going to hellfire. Lagos changed my perception about life. Once in a while, I go to club and socialize. I don’t smoke, but I hang out with friends once in a while, where I drink a little.
Which of your movies, brought you to limelight?
7 Books of Moses did. It was produced by Richmond Eze, shot three years ago. After that movie, my life changed. I played the role of Kazzeem, who could turn into a beast.
Was the character challenging?
Of course, it was. I hadn’t played such a role before in my life. I have never seen a script that was very challenging. After the movie, I haven’t rested.
Do you have a set of actors you prefer working with?
I feel comfortable working with everyone. I try to learn from all the people I work with, because nobody is perfect.
As Ramsey Nouah’s look alike, do you think you are fit to step into his big shoes?
Ramsey is my mentor. I grew up watching him. And my mother used to tell me back then that if I work very hard that I could be like Ramsey. I actually feel honoured to be seen as his look alike.
So we could say your mum prayed and wished you to be Ramsey Noauh?
When I was growing up, I was very stubborn. There was something special about me that my mum couldn’t understand and she was always worried about me. So, when I found myself in the industry doing well, I presumed my mum saw the future. Aside Ramsey Noauh, I like Majid Michael a lot too. He is a great actor and a good teacher. I worked with him recently. He carries every upcoming actor along.
What’s your mum’s advice that you won’t forget in a hurry?
‘Be careful of women.’ She would always want her son to be good and in safe hands. She doesn’t want me to fall into wrong hands.
Was it rough for you as a new actor?
It all boils down to hard work. If you work hard, things would be less difficult.  When I started, it wasn’t easy. I had to start from the scratch, remain humble to get to the top. Some people envy me because they believe I just got in and suddenly becomes famous.  I owe it all to the grace of God.
People see you as a tough and arrogant one, are you?
No, I am not. But people always see me from afar and jump to that conclusion. Humility comes from the inside. You don’t judge a book by its cover. I think people should learn to go close to someone before judging. I am not proud or arrogant but I am very private person.
If you are caught in the middle of nowhere, what are the three things you can’t stay without?
My phone, food and water and I am good to go. I’m a private person, I don’t really like going out.
What has stardom robbed you?
My freedom. People would always want to see you cheerful and all smiles because you are an actor. The better part of me has been taken away by my acting career.
How do you deal with female fans?
A lot of people see me as a ladies man, but I don’t see myself as a ladies man. It hasn’t been easy though trying to deal with the female fans. Some of them even cross the lines. I am very cool and friendly person, but I know where to draw the line.
What do you do in your spare time?
I love to watch movies and read lots of books.
So no time for your girlfriend too?
Erm…. (Laughs). Presently, I am not in any relationship. I just broke up with my ex; so I am alone right now. It has been easy to jump into another relationship.
How long has it been?
It’s almost a year since we parted ways.
So how do you cope sexually?
I have lots of friends, but I am not into any serious relationship right now.
You mean ‘friends with benefit’?
(Laughs). Well, you can call it whatever you want, but I am not into any serious relationship right now.
Did you really suffer a heartbreak that made you unable to love again?
She didn’t really break my heart. We just parted ways amicably. We couldn’t handle each other; so we had to split. She was a very nice person. I like her a lot, but she wanted to get married, but I wasn’t ready at that time.
Have you ever cried for love?
I don’t think I have. I can feel bad, very bad, but I can’t cry for a woman.
So what could make you shed tears?
I am very scared of failure. I don’t want to be seen an unsuccessful guy. I don’t see myself failing, so I don’t think I have shed tears over anything. But when my father passed on, I cried. I believe that’s a different kind of tears. My father died about eight years ago.  His death was one of the toughest times in my life. After he died, lots of things changed. I was forced to become more independent.
What’s your idea of an ideal woman?
I have a very big eye when it comes to women. My taste is huge when it has to do with women. I love pretty women, very intelligent, tall, sexy, God-fearing, hardworking, then very beautiful.
Ini Edo seems to have all the features you mentioned. What happened to your relationship with her?
Ini is just my friend and my senior colleague. I have lots of respect for her. Those pictures were actually movie pictures.
So how did it get online and went viral?
I don’t know. There are enemies everywhere. I don’t know how those pictures leaked.
When is the movie coming out?
I don’t know about that. I am not the producer. But I’m sure it would be out very soon. Those pictures were taken on a movie set; that’s the honest truth.
So are you saying the future holds nothing for both of you?
She is my friend and senior colleague; that’s all. I don’t think there is something more than that.
Can you marry or date an older lover?
Well, it depends on the situation. Why not, after all age is just a number. Once there is love and understanding and they both respect themselves, I see no big deal in marrying an older woman.
What would you wish to change about yourself?
I want God to give me more wisdom to deal with women. Because they are so complicated. Women have really dealt with me (laughs). Women are meant to be loved and cherished not understood.
How do you cope with the deep kisses on different actress in different movies?
I don’t kiss a lot of actresses (laughs). In fact, before I take up any kissing role, I make sure I know the hygiene of the actress involved. Because I am very particular about hygiene. I would rather not kiss or find a way to resolve it. But I haven’t found myself in such situation though.
Aside acting, what else do you do?
I do some kind of business. I don’t want to talk more about it.
Pick two actress you can go on a lunch date with?
I would pick Genevieve Nnaji and Stephanie Okereke Linus. They are very cool and classy. I love their personality. I don’t like loud mouthed people that’s another good thing amount the two of them.
Where are you seeing yourself in five years?
I want to be a very successful actor. I hope to have achieved a lot in my life by then.
What makes Mike Godson unique?
I am a very honest person. My word is my bond. I don’t like lies.
What are you currently working on?
I am presently working on a script. We are shooting part of it in Lagos, South Africa, and America. The title is ‘For the Wrong Reasons.’. It is a big budget movie. It is going to be for the Cinemas.

No comments:

Post a Comment