.

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Expdonaloaded News; Dad’s name, a blessing, challenge –Osasu Igbinedion

Osasu1
Osasu Igbinedion is not the regular pampered daughter from a rich home. Her love for luxury is as minimal as her passion for the less privileged is huge. Unlike many young women raised under a very patriarchal grandpa like the Esama of Benin, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, the presenter of the recently introduced Osasu Show is more concerned about making life meaningful for the poor. For the last daughter of former governor of Edo State, Lucky Igbinedion, though the high and might appear on her show, her goal is to get them and the viewers talking about developing the country.

In this interview with Abuja Metro, the lady talks about her show, love, religion, life as an Igbinedion, her favorite colors and why she needs more time to be addressed as being called stylish.
How would you describe yourself?
It is quite ironic that it is easy to describe others, while it gets a little difficult when you are asked to describe yourself. But I will say that I am first a Christian. I am a daughter, a granddaughter, an aunt and the host/producer of the Osasu Show. I went to school in the US. I started at the Tilton New Hampshire. I proceeded to obtain my Bachelor’s degree at the Stonehill College, Easton Massachusetts. I also worked at the MGM studios. There, I interned as a Marketing and Television operations assistant. I moved back to Boston where I got my Masters Degree in Corporate and Organisational Communications. I then moved to New York at the city’s prestigious film academy for a certificate in film and TV production. Obviously, my stint at the New York Film Academy triggered my interest in presenting and producing a show. That is how I moved back home and after I did some advertising, I started work on the Osasu Show. I decided to focus on speaking to politicians, captains of industry and so many others who are influential in society. I talk with them to throw light on how we can move the country forward. I believe Nigeria has so much room for growth. Our people have shown tremendous potential. In a nutshell I believe I have enough faith and passion to contribute to the great future Nigeria has.
You sound like you are politically inclined. Which of the parties do you support?
I am not a politician. I am not affiliated with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) or the All Peoples Congress (APC).
Would it be wrong to say your are PDP by default, being an Igbinedion?
You will be wrong. My family is a very diverse one. We have the business people, there are the politicians, we have the professionals like my sister who is a doctor, one works with the ECOWAS and another in the stock exchange. Yes, I have family that belongs to the PDP. But we also have those who are members of the APC. But we are one big happy family.
How do you see the future of your show?
The Osasu Show is going to be a global force. I plan to take the show all over the world. We did some special episodes towards the last elections which aired on AIT But now, we are airing on Ben TV and ITV, ultimately we want to be part of the push for the development of Nigeria.
Are your parents happy with your choice of career?
Sure, they support me. My parents have been helpful. My mum has really been giving me advice. If you have heard my mum speak, you would agree that she is an eloquent and sophisticated speaker. My dad is a master politician and businessman, so you can expect that he has given me a lot of advice on how to deal with certain guests.
You come from a privileged background. But sound like one on the side of the downtrodden. How did you come about this passion for nation building and poverty alleviation?
A number of people share your view of me. But when I was a child in Lagos, each time I was going to school, I saw kids my age hawking on the streets. This left a lasting impression on me. I kept remembering that they were people my age whose less privileged background might have robbed of opportunities. These children might have ended up not getting an education or dropping out. I truly was bothered and God most likely was too, that right in an urban place like Lagos young children couldn’t go to school without having to labor on behalf of their parents. Some might not have been in school at all. They just have worked with little or no skill.
Sometimes, I get emotional about this. But I can’t really explain why I have remained passionate about Nigerian children getting a better deal from government and society as a whole. All I can say is that I am ready to work through the rest of my life talking about the right of the Nigerian child to the important basics like education, healthcare and social protection. I am not asking for a Rolls Royce or Bentley per family. I just want basic things for children who we say are our future.
Did having sisters who have done well put you under pressure to excel? Was there sibling rivalry? Did Osasu have to work hard to prove you are not just one of the numbers?
Well, you could say that. There was always this consciousness in me that I wasn’t the first, the last or the only girl/boy. I didn’t have any special privileges. So, I just decided that I had to stand out and I did this by excelling in my studies. Like, for my Masters, I graduated with a 3.8 GPA out of a 4.0 GPA. I wasn’t the brainiest in school. But I found effective ways of making good grades. Yes, I do think that most times, I think differently when compared to my other siblings. It is probably because my younger brother and I spent more time overseas than my older siblings. They just went there for university but I went through secondary and university there. So I guess I am different with how I express myself and how I talk to people. But certainly we never had sibling rivalry. We have chosen different paths. But we always support each other.
Growing up in the Igbinedion family, who influenced you most?
Yes we have phenomenal women and men in my family. My grandfather started with nothing. If you read the Esama’s biography, you will be inspired to do something with your life. His story shows that no matter where you come from, what family you were born into, you can become somebody. He started out as a policeman, now he is the affluent and influential Esama of Benin. So he definitely inspired me. My dad also influenced me. One thing people don’t know about my dad is that, he is very warm and caring. He is also very hardworking. When he was LGA chairman, he made more impact than most of his predecessors. He has done quite well. And my mum like you mentioned did a lot with her foundation to bring back our women who were trafficked abroad. She re-oriented them and re-introduced them to normal life. She provided education and jobs for them. When she came into office the demand for commercial sex workers was phenomenal. But she stemmed the tide and today most of these women never went back to Italy. So I have been influenced by different people and it would be difficult to pick just one person.
Does being an Igbinedion come with blessings or challenges?
Well, being a member of a famous family ensures that people already have a pre-conceived notion of who you are. Being an Igbinedion has its ups and downs. I meet people and they say things like ‘oh you are more respectful”, “you are more intelligent than I expected” or “you are much nicer.” And I think to myself that, these people haven’t met me before, so why should they predict how I behave? Sure, being an Igbinedion is a blessing. I believe that God doesn’t make mistakes. He knows why he put me in this family. Like I said, there are people who will just dislike you because of your family name. But I don’t let it bother me because God created me for a purpose and I am more concerned about fulfilling that purpose.
Meeting you, a child of the former Edo State first family, you are quite humble. Which of your parents did you pick this trait from?
Both. They brought us up to be humble and well behaved. They didn’t choose our friends based on status. Rather, they wanted us to relate with good people, no matter which family they come from and they made us know that we can only succeed if we work hard.
But did you pick from the Esama’s love for luxury?
Yes my granddad has been described as extravagant. I don’t think I inherited his love for luxury. But I don’t think his being luxurious is a bad thing. Like I told you earlier, he started with nothing and now that he has accumulated so much wealth. There is nothing wrong with his building mansions and driving a few Rolls Royce cars. Especially as he is still impacting lives and bringing about change. You will be amazed how many children are on scholarship by him. As you can see I am wearing this affordable shirt, doesn’t cost more than $12. I am just a simple person whose starting out in life.
Some like to follow trends, while others prefer to create their own style. Are you the trends person or the stylish type?
Honestly, I don’t think I will be fair to the real stylish people out there if I say I am stylish. I am more of the kind that puts comfort first. I wear what I am comfortable in. for example, I only wear (high) heels when it’s time for a formal meeting or event. My sister is the one who does the styling for me. But with my new career in television I am learning how to be stylish.

What are you favorite colors?
It’s red and black. Red because it is bold and it represents my bold and outspoken personality. For black, it just blends in. When you don’t want to make any statement with other colors.

Who is your style icon?
If I were to be the kind that has invested much in creating a style, I would pick Blake Lively from Gossip Girl. I really like her style and we were born on the same day.
Do you love perfumes? Are you the kind that can’t go out without wearing a perfume?
I can step out without perfume. But I love perfumes. Today I am wearing one from Coco Channel. It is quite common but it smells good.
Are you one of those who first take care of the body they wear clothes on?
Right now, I have a personal trainer. I try to work out. I like all the sweets and candy. But I am working on staying fit. For my beauty routine, I don’t really do much. I handle the basics like washing my body and face two times  a day. I don’t sleep with make up on.
What is your definition of love. Are you in love?
Oh am I in love? Yes, I am in love with Jesus who is my true love.
Last year, we were at The Signature, the Esama’s Abuja mansion for your sister’s introduction ceremony. When are we coming for yours?
By God’s grace, it will be soon.
Can you tell us about the man who will be bringing his family to yours for the introduction?
His name is J-E-S-U-S (laughs). I don’t really like talking about my personal life. But when the time comes, I will definitely invite you.

What does your ideal man look like? Are for the popular choice of the tall and dark type?
I am not a superficial person. What I want is someone who is God fearing, hardworking and someone who would love me like Christ loved the church.
What is your definition of love?
Love is selfless. I like someone who puts their partner first and I don’t ask for what I cannot give. I know that when that handpicked husband comes, I will reciprocate the love he gives to me.
You are a single, attractive, well educated lady from a privileged background. Has being on TV come with dealing with pressure from men?
(Laughs) Oh, I didn’t say if I was single! But I think people will take you as you present yourself. It is important to be firm and be businesslike in my kind of business.
How do you spend your me time?
I either go out to the movies, eat out or I sleep. I like watching TV too.
What is that thing you can’t do without?
It might sound clichéd and religious. But I can’t do without my bible. Anytime I feel low or I need inspiration, I read the bible and I pray.
How were you able to stay open about being Christian having schooled in the West where being religious isn’t that cool?
It goes back to my parents. No matter where your children end up, if you laid a solid foundation for them, nobody can change them. We learned how to fast as children, as early as seven (years) we started fasting. Parents should always reinforce the importance of God to their children.
So as a bible girl, can you tell us your favorite verse in the holy book?
Jeremiah 29 verse 11.

Click photo to download; but you lied to me by Expdona aka finish gravity

Mr Expdona ft Marvel..But u lied to me

Expdonaloaded blog;Click the photo to download aboki wey d suya by Expdona aka finish gravity

www.hulkshare.com/expdona

Click photo to download; but you lied to me by Expdona aka finish gravity

Mr Expdona ft Marvel..But u lied to me

Expdonaloaded blog;Click the photo to download aboki wey d suya by Expdona aka finish gravity

www.hulkshare.com/expdona

No comments:

Post a Comment