.

Monday 11 May 2015

Expdonaloaded News;Driver knocks down 67-year-old while running from touts


Udon-ImeA 67-year-old man, Udon Ime, has been knocked down by a commercial tricycle driver operating in the Ojuelegba area of Lagos.It was learnt that the driver of the tricycle, Ibrahim Lateef, rammed into the old man while he was trying to escape paying N100 to some touts, popularly called Agbero, in the area, who reportedly fought for the control of the steering of the tricycle with him.

Information gathered that Lateef lost control and in the process, hit the man, who was walking by the roadside.
Ime, a driver, was said to be going to his boss’ house in Aguda on Saturday when the incident happened around 8am.
He was said to have lost consciousness and was rushed to a hospital in Ikeja. When his condition did not improve, he was referred to another hospital in the Oyingbo area. He was said to have sustained injury in the head.post by expdonaloaded.blogspot.com..Our correspondent learnt that Lateef was arrested on the fateful day by policemen from Barracks Police Station, while his tricycle was siezed. He has, however, been released on bail.
The victim was still recuperating when Expdonaloaded blog Metro visited him in his residence on Omotola Street, Iwaya.He said, “I was going to work in Aguda when the incident happened on April 25. I did not know how I found myself in the hospital. I have undergone x-ray and treatments. I was told the tricycle driver paid my hospital bills. I am getting better now. Let the police free the man and his tricycle. The most important thing is that I am still alive.”
Lateef said he had paid about N30,000 to the police for the tricycle to be released to no avail, adding that he got the tricycle on hire purchase.
He said, “I did not hit the man deliberately. It was some Agberos in Ojuelegba who dragged the steering with me that caused the accident. The touts collect almost half of the money I realise daily. I got the tricycle three months ago on hire purchase. I am still struggling to complete the payment.
“I was detained for five days in custody and paid N30,000 for my tricycle to be released. I also paid N25,000 for the man’s hospital bill. I have suffered enough.”
A driver in Ojuelegba, who identified himself only as Samson, also lamented the activity of the touts.
“I had been beaten up in the past for refusing to pay N100. I pay at least N900 per day. We have complained about it, but nothing was done. I just have to be paying it to guarantee my livelihood. I don’t have any other means,” he said.
The Lagos State Police spokesperson, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, promised that the tricycle would be released as soon as the family of the victim officially agreed to let go of the incident.
He said, “The tricycle is in the police custody. It will be released once a mutual agreement is reached between the family of the victim and the driver. We have nothing to do with the tricycle. I don’t believe any money was collected from him.Udon-Ime

No comments:

Post a Comment