.

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Uyo Stadium: Udoh targets first goal

StadiumNigeria’s new goal king, Mfon Udoh, has set a new target for himself after setting a new domestic league record of 21 goals in a season to erase the 20-goal mark set by Jude Aneke three seasons ago.



The Enyimba International striker who is among the home-based players invited for the international friendly match between the Super Eagles and Ghana Black Stars for the official commissioning of the new ultra modern Uyo International Stadium on Thursday, said he wants to make history as the first player to score in the new stadium.
“I’m very excited to set a new record in Nigerian League and I’m most grateful to God for the grace,” the Akwa Ibom-born prolific forward relished. “I’ll be reporting to the Super Eagles’ camp tomorrow (yesterday) for the international game against Ghana to officially open the Uyo International Stadium. I want to make history as the first player to score in the stadium. “I’m from Akwa Ibom State and as an indigene, it would be a great honour for me to enter the record book as the man that scored the first goal in the stadium,” Udoh emphasized.
“I’m really looking forward to the game. It’d be great playing in front of my teeming home fans once again. I can’t wait to thrill my fans with the best of beautiful football because I know they love to watch me in action,” the former Akwa United star said.
Meanwhile, Dolphin’s hit man, Emem Eduok, has congratulated his Enyimba International counterpart, Mfon Udoh, for increasing his goals tally to 21on Sunday to set a new record in the Nigeria Professional League.  Before Sunday’s game, both players had tied on 20 goals to equal Jude Aneke’s all-time record of 20 goals set three seasons ago.
Udoh, however, grabbed the equalizer for Enyimba in his side’s 1-1 draw with Dolphins at the Liberation Stadium in Port Harcourt while Eduok fired blanks.
“I tried my best to score so as to set a new record in the domestic league but the goal refused to come. And as God would have it, my rival, Mfon Udoh, was lucky to have scored; so I congratulate him and wish him well,” Eduok said.
“That’s not to say that I’ve given up on the goals race. We still have a match to go and who says that I cannot two goals or more in that match and finish as the highest goal scorer this season,” Eduok wondered.
Both Akwa Ibom State-born strikers are expected to lead the Super Eagles’ attack against Ghana Black Stars in Thursday’s international friendly match to officially open the Uyo International Stadium before coming face-to-face against each other in this year’s Federation Cup final between Dolphins and Enyimba at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos on November 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment