.

Friday 24 October 2014

As a child, I knew there was something different about me –Bob Manuel-Udokwu

BobBob Manuel-Udokwu has been basking in the euphoria of his new appointment as the Senior Special Assistant on Creative Media, Movie and Entertainment to the Governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano. Pleased with what he has accomplished in Nollywood, the tall, handsome anchor of Gulder Ultimate Searcher (GUS) recently declared his intention to vie for a seat in the Anambra State House of Assembly. He opened up to TS Weekend. Excerpts:



Congratulations on your new appointment. What’s your agenda for Nollywood?
Thank you for the question. The Obiano administration is very much interested in developing entertainment, culture and tourism in Anambra State. The governor wants to make Anambra State the hub of this aspect of social life. The platform under which this government came in is 4C’s. Continuity, Completion, Commission and Commencement; continuing the projects he met on ground, completing and commissioning them before commencing new ones. Specifically for the movie and entertainment industry, there is a blueprint the governor is studying right now. We are looking for how we can bring back moviemakers to Anambra State, though they are coming back gradually. They (movie makers) went to neighboring states due to some reasons especially insecurity, but now Anambra State has become a benchmark for weighing security in other places in Nigeria. And so they are coming back willingly, but for myself being an insider and a pioneer in the industry, I have given the governor a blueprint on how we can bring them back completely and for them to have incentives for coming back.
You are not the only actor from Anambra, what actually makes you different from others? 
There is no way you watch any of my movies without hearing me adding Igbo language into the characters I play. I’m the one who started it and I’m glad that some of my colleagues who are Igbo also do it. Already as a person, I have a passion for that; some people will take pride in telling you that their children don’t speak Igbo – meanwhile they don’t live abroad. But there are some of our brothers and sisters who live abroad, have their children abroad, and their children speak Igbo more than those of us who live in Nigeria. There is no pride in what the other people are doing.
What project are you currently working on?
We are talking about entertainment industry generally. I have already mentioned the four-day cultural performance in December that the governor has approved; we have plans to, on regular basis, hunt for new talents to develop, because those who are stars today will remain in the firmament of the entertainment industry. But new stars need to be born; if new ones are born – they have to be nurtured and we have to transfer the expertise, the experience, and the knowledge we have in the business and the industry to these people. Anambra State has a lot of talents, a pool of talent that is unbelievable. So, we intend to harness them. For that, we need to go into youth training programme in music, dance, drama, cinematography, and costuming – we plan to go into all these.
It’s like politics is taking you away from your main profession, acting? 
Not at all! It’s not taking me away. One complements the other. I have served this country; I have served Africa. And whether you like it or not, we’ve gotten to a certain level in the society where our voices count. I know I’m one of those who can speak for the voiceless today. I can enter places where a lot of people can’t, because in doing my work as an actor or filmmaker; I have touched lives of millions of people across the country. And people identify with me and what I stand for; and I’m glad to tell you that what I stand for are discipline, humility, and hard work.
What have you used the platform to achieve so far?
We cannot disappoint, we cannot do anything other than to help bring the people closer to the government and the government closer to the people. A lot of people who have offices are not known before and people cannot readily go to them to say ‘why not consider this or that for us?’ They know me; they know us. And we know the government of today has value for entertainment because gone were the days when it was run by fly-by-night moon shiners, never do wells; – people who didn’t really go to school that were there. And they were seen like Chinua Achebe would say ‘efulee-efu’. Today, I have a Master’s degree and there is no doubt in anybody’s mind that I’m an intellectual, I take my arts seriously, and I have distinguished myself.
Are you using that platform to vie for a particular position?
My options are open. One thing about me is that I don’t say things before I do them, because everything I do right from when I was a kid happens to be in the public domain. If I tell you I’ll be running for election tomorrow – which I’ll do; it will be there in the open. And of course, I will.
Which position are you vying for?
I’m close to the root. Charity begins at home so vying for any position would be in Anambra State House of Assembly, to represent my constituency – Idemili North. So, people should expect my billboards, posters, handbills and other campaign materials soon!
You have come thus far in Nollywood. What makes a successful actor?
One, you must discover that you have a talent. It’s not about you wanting to be, but it has to come from far deep within you – inside. Like people will normally say ‘God talks to you; there is an inner being that will let you know that you have this’. Of course, it begins to manifest. Then you need to go to school; education is key and you need to study something relevant to the arts. Training is important, and then consistency and retraining. What I mean by retraining is that you take the knowledge of what is taught in drama school and build on it. If you don’t build on what you’ve been trained for and you have a talent to do it, you’ll slide back. So, consistency is there, education is there and you have to be humble. For a place like Nigeria, you must have infinite patience too, because some production attitude can drive you up the wall!
As a veteran in the industry, can you compare the movies of the early ‘90s to the movies we have now?
When we did ‘Living in Bondage’, we were not given a chance. The same Nigerians, who look back now with nostalgia said, we were doing rubbish. It was only with our consistency and tenacity (what we’re still doing now) that we held on. But today, more than 20 years down the line, they’re beginning to look down the line to say that those ones were better. I think there is a lot of technical improvement in our work. Again, this is an industry that is not seriously regulated, anybody who thinks he can make money jumps into the fray. A lot of youngsters are deceived by the glamour and glitz they see on television, so with little or no education, and with what can pass for good looks both for the guys and girls; they jump in. A lot of producers and directors, who are not properly trained in the business, are also in the fray. Mercantilism is also part of it – where people feel they can drop in a few naira and make millions. Mix all that together; what you get is some wishy-washy production. But the good ones always stand out, when good ones come; people see the difference. For me as a veteran, when I get a script, I attack it with every fiber of anger and professionalism in me, that even when the production is on, you hear comments from the crew like ‘this is why it is good to work with professionals’ because everything flows well.
How best do you think Nollywood can improve in standard?
We need to collaborate with those producers and filmmakers in Europe and America – that is the only way we can get into the mainstream of global filmmaking. India is making headway now; Bollywood has always been there. But they started making more inroads into Hollywood and European film markets when their producers started working with producers and directors from Europe and America. Don’t forget that ‘Slum Dog Millionaire’, which was shot in the slums of Mumbai and directed by a British, won in more than five categories of the Academy Awards (Oscars) a couple of years ago. It’s collaboration; we need that also.
What are the challenges you face as an actor, MC, Gulder Ultimate Search anchor etc.?
Pressure! You are under constant pressure. Society pressures you in so many ways, you’re also in competition with yourself, you’re always watchful – you try to be careful about what you do, what you say etc. It’s very easy to get misunderstood. An innocent mistake that can be overlooked if it were another person will be blown out of proportion and people attribute all sorts of things to it. In a global world where in seconds things are on the Internet; you’d keep looking over your shoulder and watching your steps. And it also comes with a lot of responsibility – people who come to you; friends, family, strangers, seeking all sorts of assistance, it’s enormous. For me, I am never satisfied with one achievement because to whom much is given, much is expected.
Aside what we see on the screen; who is Bob Manuel-Udokwu?
I am a family-oriented person and I crack jokes a lot.  But that’s when I’m with friends and family, you relax your guard – you know close friends; not people who became friends with you knowing that you’re well known, because they don’t even know where you are coming from – as someone who grew up in Coal Camp of Enugu (like Ajegunle of Lagos); where people are also raised to prominence.
How was growing up like? Did you know that you would become so popular?
You wouldn’t know such things to this extent, but right from when I was a child, I knew there was something different about me. The first time I was on stage was in primary two. A teacher came in, wrote something on the board and asked us to cram, and we did. The following day or two days later, the teacher came and we were pointed at, one by one to get up and recite. Looking back, I know now that it was audition. From there, some people were selected including myself and we performed in the school for the closing day ceremony. By primary four, I did my first full-length play, by primary six; I was now in the school’s debate on radio and TV. At a very young age, I became familiar with the studio environment of radio and television, but throughout secondary school I joined the debate instead of the drama society, and became the vice president of the junior debating society. I’ve looked back and asked why debating and not drama, but I found out that perhaps it was the intellectual side of me, because in debate you have to read and research. But there is a little bit of drama in debate; you have to gesticulate, you make your point. But when I left secondary school; one day I willingly went to NTA Enugu and that’s where these entire thing took off. I knew at the back of my mind that I was going to be well known. I didn’t know how it was going to work out, but I knew there was something inside of me the world ought to see.
For 20 years now, what has been your greatest achievement?
To have been part of that small group that built a world-class movie brand called Nollywood out of nothing. And to also live a lifestyle, being in show business, and have a level head.
What is the craziest thing a fan has done to you?
I think over the years fans have come to appreciate me with stellar performance. As a core professional, they treat me with respect and dignity, but I had this instance where I got a huge slap on the back then I turned instinctively to confront the person only to get a bear hug from somebody who was grinning from ear to ear. He was just carried away and didn’t even know that the slap he gave me from the back was painful. He was just trying to call my attention so, when I turned he grabbed me and said ‘oh my God, Bob Manuel, you’re awesome’.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
There at times when you are hungry, you can’t find a place to eat or you’re pressed, you can’t find a place to ease yourself. Years ago, my car broke down on the highway; people were driving by – waving, smiling and laughing at me. But I doubt if they knew that I was in awful state. A crowd gathered and was smiling and waving, I felt naked but I took it in my stride and did what I had to do. Today, if anybody sees me on a bike and gets surprised, I won’t care because I may be on that bike going to get a cheque of N5 million. Nobody knew what we did to get where we are now, and that’s life.
Was there a time you felt like pulling out? 
I never did. I studied this thing for crying out loud. I knew that was where I belong. I listened to my inner voice. For me, I knew that the break was going to come and it was a matter of time. I knew I had the pedigree that others didn’t have and I still do. The only difference is that I believed I was extra-ordinary.
Everybody sees you as a gentleman but what is the naughtiest thing that you have done?
I remember when we were playing football in the streets as kids in Enugu; my own shot flew into a taxi and hit a man coming home from work. The owner of the ball insisted I’d pay for his ball but I had no money at that time so, I decided to run after the taxi. I ran until I met them in the traffic. The man looked at me and thought ‘poor boy, boys will always be boys’, and then threw back the ball to me. I grabbed it, went back, and gave it to the owner before going back home.
After shooting a movie, do you think there is a particular area you need to improve upon?
For me, I do post-mortem on my work with the intention of looking at areas that I need to improve. And when I finish watching a particular movie, and I don’t really see where I need to improve, then I tell myself that it’s really good.
Of all the movies you have done, which was the most challenging?
Every movie comes with its own challenge, and I have done quite a lot that I can’t really place my hands on. I think ‘Pestilence’ should fit in there. It was shot partly in Imo and Abia States; at some point we had to go to a cave in Uturu. It was a movie that challenged us, with traditional setting and the difficult terrain.
What has changed since you got married? And how do you plan to safeguard your marriage in the face of challenges?
Like I said earlier, I’m a family-oriented person. What has changed is the realization that it’s not just you; you have a wife now, you have children and you’re solely responsible for either their happiness or sadness. So, if you see yourself as a man who has gotten to the point of taking responsibility of the people you brought into your life, then you must discipline yourself and work in tandem with yourself to be able to achieve stability in your home.  I give a lot of credits to my wife. She is a wonderful partner and helpmate.
What advice would you give to Nollywood couples who are breaking up?
It’s not just about Nollywood but also about the society generally. What I can say to couples is that the first five years of marriage is never easy, and both parties must agree to make it work because the responsibility lies on both sides. For the men, you should be able to stand for your family in spite of all odds. Despite all quarrels and disagreements (even if she is wrong); swallow your pride – go back to your wife, talk to her, make amends, even apologize and bring her mind down. Once her mind is calm then you can go on to correct her.
What is your philosophy of life?
My philosophy of life is work hard, trust yourself and believe God.
How do you relax?
I try to get enough rest. I hang out with friends though, I don’t like rowdiness, and things that keep me away from a good night rest like clubbing, I hardly do.
How do you cope with your female fans?
Female fans are like clients that are satisfied with your product and they want more. I don’t have any problem with them. Women and children are our fan base. I have seen some shocking things that if I were not in show business, I wouldn’t believe such things could happen.
What are the shocking things?
Like a girl walking up to you and asking you for a hug amid pleasantries. You oblige her. But as you’re giving her a hug, she whispers into your ears that she wants to sleep with you. You get shocked, but she shows how serious she wants it in her looks; but you turn and run (Laughs).
What advice would you give an upcoming actor?
It’s good to get some good education in Theatre Arts or related field. Remain focused and committed to the job. This was the kind of advice I gave to Francis Duru – who was my junior colleague at the University of Port Harcourt, and like me, he excelled

No comments:

Post a Comment